Thursday, November 21, 2013

On Writing

Gotten from http://www.medimanage.com/my-kids-health/articles/6-Unhealthy-Classroom-habits-in-kids.aspx
I often end up in this pose when I am trying to think of what to write.

It is official...I signed up for the NaNoWriMo once again, and I'm probably not going to make it this year either.  I did this last year, but didn't get very far because I was incredibly busy as well as dealing with a lot of emotional turmoil.  I like the idea of NaNoWriMO, but can't seem to stay motivated throughout the whole month.  I may just go back to using 750words.com as a way to become more disciplined about writing, and just leave it at that.  At the same time, in preparation of attempting the NaNoWriMo again this year, I made a list of ideas for novels, some more developed than others, and part of me is itching to actually see if I can develop them into actual novels.  I don't know if I have a successful writer lurking back in psyche somewhere or not, but I do know that I want to develop these stories and not taking the time to write means that they will remain locked inside my brain.

So, with that in mind, I have been thinking about those books and series that I tend to go back and read--what characteristics cause me to want to re-read a book or a series?  I know that the characters tend to speak to me for one reason or another--they are either people that I would want to know or people that I love to hate or pity (Willoughby from Sense and Sensibility or Jean Valjean from Les Miserables, anyone?). They are also nuanced and not 2 dimensional.  The plot is arresting and not one that you can see through.  If it has a Christian theme or character, they don't preach at you, and they have flaws and struggles like anyone else.  Sex, if mentioned, is not explicit.  Characters are not static--their experiences change them in plausible ways. If it is a series, I fall in love with the universe that the story is set in and there is a coherence to the setting, making it fun to return over and over again, just like a favorite vacation spot.

The above is a really tall order, though, and I'm still learning about how to do that.  I seriously doubt that my first attempt at a novel will be very good!  Of course, I have to finish writing it first, don't I?


No comments:

Post a Comment