Saturday, February 27, 2016

My Very First Stitch Fix Box

As most of my family can attest, I am a bit fashion challenged--being in the height of fashion has never been a need of mine, and it has only been in the last 2-3 years that I have been willing to look at my clothes and say, "Hmmm.  I really don't want to look like a frump.  Maybe I should update my wardrobe."  Because of this, I tend to wait to go shopping for clothes until I can go with at least one or two of my sisters, since I really can't be trusted to always choose things that both look good on me and aren't either 20 years too old or 20 years too young, style-wise.

Me in front of the blue windows at the Art Institut in Chicago
When I dress myself--This particular shirt will likely go in the donate bin
(It is also last Summer before I started losing weight and eliminating dairy)
This has created a bit of a conundrum for me, since I'm in the process of losing weight, and some of the clothes that I know look good on me are now not hanging right...and this is after only 10 lbs lost.  In my body's defense, some of it is probably less bloating due to no more dairy in my diet, but it is still sad when one of your favorite shirts no longer looks very good.  Since I live something like 12 hours away from the nearest relative, this means that, when I DO go shopping, I tend to take pictures and then text them to one or more sisters for advice.  I always feel a little worried that they get tired of the, "which one of these outfits look better?" texts.  So, when I talked to a colleague and heard about Stitch Fix, it seemed like a good compromise....I get help with clothes that look good on me, and I don't have to pester my siblings to get it.  I decided that I would reward myself with a StitchFix box for every 10 lbs that I lose.  I got my first box in the mail today, and amazingly, I feel like the stylist nailed what I like and what looks good on me!

They even help you to accessorize. Such a blessing for the accessory challenged like me.


The way that StitchFix works is that you pay a $20 stylist fee, and then they send you 5 pieces of clothing/accessories.  If you keep all 5 pieces, you get 25% off of the cost of the clothes, and they also credit you for the stylist fee toward the cost of the clothes.  Unfortunately, if you don't keep all 5, there is no discount, but you still get the $20 stylist fee to put toward your purchase.  I was pretty impressed with this first box, and if all of the items had fit, I would have kept the whole box.  Because I'm not getting that wonderful discount, I ended up returning 2 of the five items, so that I would pay the same as if I had kept all 5 items.
The dress that doesn't fit, and the infinity scarf beside it.  I was so very sad when this dress wouldn't zip up! I loved the burgundy and the pattern of the scarf, but without the dress, I'm not sure that I have anything I could wear it with. Most of my shirts are navy and purple!


I do have to say that I kind of expected the cost of each individual item to be less expensive--the cost is more along the lines of Kohls  or JC Penny's when it is full price, than Target.  I also hate that 2 of the 3 items I am keeping is hand-wash only.  One of them, a cardigan, won't be washed very often because it is outer wear, but I actually almost returned the shirt because it is hand wash only.  I love my washer, and am always looking for ways to make my life easier. I may see if I can wash it in the delicate cycle inside out, since the front of the shirt is all lace, and I don't want it to get snagged.

A ubiquitous dog picture, just because she is much cuter!
Sassy and the other dogs were very curious as I tried everything on, I suspect because the smell of the dyes before any of the items are washed are interesting to their sensitive noses.

So, I have one new outfit from the box, and I will definitely be doing this again.  It isn't really economizing on clothing, but if they last a decent amount of time, I'm willing to pay a little more for the items.  I definitely won't be going to a monthly cycle, though.  I can't justify that much money on clothing each month!

The outfit without the cardigan.  I really like the way these jeans fit! 

 Now, I just need to do the work and lose the next 10 lbs.  Once that happens, I can see how Tiffany (my stylist for this box), and the rest of the Stitch Fix team do next time.
And with the Cardigan. Amazingly, Ginger was cooperating for the picture...A real rarity!

No comments:

Post a Comment