Wednesday, May 4, 2016

28 Days!!!

I'm getting closer to the end of the semester, but more importantly, I'm getting closer to my Camino.  Things are coming in that I need for my trip...

The order of the Mass in English and Spanish

My Pilgrim's Passports (I need two, since I will be in Spain for so long).
I'm gathering my things for my trip, and I'm figuring out what I'm planning taking on my trip.  Things will be a bit different this time around as I will be teaching online for the duration, so there are also a few things that I'm going to need to take with me that I didn't the first time around. I'm using what I learned from the first time around and my backpack is weighing in at 13.6 lbs, including everything in the following picture:

The only thing missing is what I will be wearing, and some of my meds.

My packing list:
  • one Osprey backpack with a rain cover
  • one pair Oofos for wearing after my hike is done
  • one fleece sleeping bag and net case
  • one silk sleeping bag liner
  • one sarong
  • one neck pillow
  • one massaging ball to help with keeping my feet in fine form
  • half of a composition book (for taking notes while grading speeches--I will be throwing away paper as I use it, so that it will be less weight as I go along)
  • one lightweight jacket
  • one water resistant windbreaker
  • one emergency poncho if it really starts raining
  • 2 sets of clothing containing:
    • one thin pair of socks
    • one thick pair of socks
    • one sports bra
    • one pair hiking underwear
    • one short-sleeved running shirt
    • one pair of running capris
    • one gallon size ziplock bag
  • one old-fashioned ice bag (to help keep my feet iced--ice is readily available at the bars and cafes along the way)
  • One collapsible water bottle
  • 2 journals--One in my backpack, and one in my fanny pack for while I'm writing in it.  I will send it home once the first is full.
  •  One quart size ziplock bag full of toiletries: 
    • one full bar of soap
    • one full size bar of solid deoderant
    • one razor
    • one toothbrush
    • one travel size toothpaste
    • one travel size shampoo
    • one travel size conditioner
    • leftover bug spray from my last camino
    • one bottle sun screen
    • one comb
    • 2 hair ties (in case I lose one)
    • one bandana
  • One rosary
  • One baseball cap
  • All of my meds:
    • qnasl
    • cetirizine
    • Allegra
    • ranitidine
    • singulair
    • epi pen
  • fingernail clippers
  • pocket knife
  • shell
  • charger for my phone that is compatible with europe
  • fitbit charger
  • about 12 safety pins
  • one extra gallon ziplock bag
  • hiking poles
And my fanny pack:


  • English-Spanish order of the mass
  • one glue stick
  • earbuds for my phone
  • pencil sharpener
  • colored pencils
  • epi-pen
  • six sharpie pens and a mechanical pencil
  • (journal that I talked about earlier)
  • Passport and pilgrim's credentials
  • 1.40 in euros from my last trip to Spain
  • chapstick
  • prescriptions of meds
  • Passport
  • credit card and debit card.
  • Sunglasses
  • pnone (not shown--it will be my camera/tablet/laptop/ipod on my trip)
I will have on my person:



  • my trail runners with orthopedic inserts inside
  • one set of clothing (see above)
  • my fitbit
It looks like a whole lot, but it feels like not a lot of stuff at all.  My guess is that my skin out weight is about 20 lbs, but I haven't put everything on to check. 

I will be flying out of Houston on June second, which doesn't give me a whole lot of time to be ready for this.  Hopefully, I can get it all done in the time that I have--June second will come whether I'm ready or not, though.  

No comments:

Post a Comment