Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Gear purchases

Well, I have bought some of the gear that I need....a camera, and a wind/rain jacket.  The jacket will also work for when I need to run in the rain.  Below, you will see pictures of the jacket--it is about 4.5 ounces, and water resistant, and supposedly breathable.  I tried it out last night when I ran with the running club, and it worked just fine  in keeping the rain off me as long as I had it zipped up, but I overheated pretty quickly.  This is in spite of the fact that there is a vent panel in the back to help keep overheating from happening.  Once I unzipped the jacket, it didn't do a very good job of keeping me dry, I think because all of the movement that I was doing allowed rain to get in underneath the collar, etc.  Having my keys in the pocket and a light attached to the lapel probably didn't help much either, as the extra weight caused the jacket to move around more.  I don't expect to use the pocket on my camino, as it is located over the right side of my butt.  However, between this and my long-sleeved running shirt, I was more than warm enough for the run, in spite of the rain.  I'm hoping that hiking will be the same--only time will tell!

I won't get the camera until sometime next week, but I'm excited to finally have a camera again!  It is under 6 ounces, including batteries and SD card, so it should work well for my Camino, and it should also be a pretty good camera, since it is a mainstream brand.  I will check it out and post pics here.  :-)   It is also 16 megapixels, so the quality of the photos should be pretty good as well.  I'm still trying to figure out how large of an SD card it will support, as I will need to buy one.  It also has the benefit of using AA batteries, so I should be able to find batteries along the Camino and not have to schlep them with me, although I will probably take at least a few extra sets just in case.  I've also been given a pair of shoes for my trip and promised a pocket knife as well.  I know that it is only the middle of February, but the fact that I'm starting to get my gear together is making this feel more real to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment