Wednesday, July 24, 2013

I am looking for a passage...

When I was in college, one of the greatest spiritual exercises I ever did was to take a passage of scripture and memorize the whole passage.  I did so by taking one verse for each day and meditating on it all day long until I could recite it at the end of the day.  The passage I chose for that exercise was Philippians 2: 1-12, and to this day, it is a passage that resonates in my heart.  I think that some of it has to do with the fact that I rolled it around, savored all the accents, and then did so again in case I missed anything, much like one would do with tasting a fine wine for the first time. 

I am told that Northern Spain has some very good wines, so I'm going to do my best to try a few of them!


As I am a little more than five weeks away from my Camino (36 days!!!), I have a lot to do for work, but I find myself thinking more and more about what I'm going to be doing as I walk day in and day out.  I'm sure that I will be talking to fellow pilgrims, as well as spending time in prayer by myself each day, but it seems to me that it is a unique time to tackle another passage and commit it to memory, especially since I will have a good 8-9 hours each day when I am walking.  At first, I thought that I would use Psalm 119, since memorizing the whole of it is on my bucket list, but I'm not sure that I can really meditate on more than one verse at a time--If I chose this passage, it would mean that I would have to memorize 7-8 verses per day in order to finish by the time I got to Santiago (I will only be on the Camino for 21 total days--19 days walking plus 2 rest days).    Then, I thought of my favorite Psalm, Psalm 27, but it is only 14 verses long, and I would run out of verses before I got to Santiago.  I can't think of any other passages off the top of my head...

This is from Burgos, the town that I will begin walking from

So, I would like to ask you, my readers, to maybe suggest a passage of scripture that would be appropriate to work on memorizing while I am on my Camino.  The passage should be between 19 and 22 verses long, although closer to 19 would be better, and it would be nice if it loosely related to pilgrimage (Psalm 27 is a pilgrim's hymn, and was usually sung on the trip to Jerusalem).  However, any passage of note would do.  I will be looking myself, and will post here what passage of Scripture I eventually choose in case you would like to memorize it with me. Just as I have asked specific people in my life to give me pebbles to leave at Cruz de Ferro, I want to include you in the pilgrimage, at least virtually....This is another way to include you and let you participate.  :-)

I look forward to hearing your suggestions!

This is day 3 of the 7 day Challenge that Jennifer Fulweiler set up...Check out this link to see who else picked up the gauntlet!

No comments:

Post a Comment