Monday, March 21, 2016

The Power of the Word

Yesterday was Palm Sunday, and the gospel is something that is a bit different from normal--as a congregation we get to interact and read part of the story, because the narrative of Christ's passion is broken up into parts, and those of us in the pews become the voices of the crowd.  This is something very powerful for me, and I don't know that I have ever gotten through the gospel reading on Palm Sunday with a dry eye.

The point where I tend to get a little teary is when we must cry out, "Crucify him."  It is a visceral reminder that I am the reason for Christ's sacrifice on the cross, and that I'm always one decision away from denying Christ as Peter did.

Yet again, I am in amazement at the wisdom of the Church and of the liturgical year.  This has been a rough lent, with my discipline and being able to follow through with my Lenten discipline being spotty at best.  However, I'm also so incredibly thankful for the reminder of Christ's sacrifice for each of us, and for this coming week when we finally celebrate our Risen Lord.

Even as the darkest days are yet to come, with Good Friday this week, we don't have to stay there.  As at the beginning of the Easter vigil, when we start with the words, "the Light of Christ," so too can we say with Isaiah, "The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light!"

May He illuminate our lives and our hearts, and may Lenten mourning be transformed into Easter Joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment