Saturday, June 4, 2016

The long, long day

As I wait for my clothes to dry this morning, the sky is spitting a little bit of precipitation....not really misting, not really sprinkling, but still getting wet from time to time.

Last night was my first night "on" the Camino, although traditionally, one's pilgrimage starts at the front door of your house. Already, I have been lost, so here is hoping that I got that out of my system. All I have to say is that I am eternally grateful for friendly locals who take pity on pilgrims who have confused/worried looks on their faces.

The Madrid airport. I find the colors and the sunlight very pretty.
 Yesterday was a long day...it began at 7:00a, and didn't end until about 10:00p on Jun 3. In that time, I drove to Houston, flew to Dulles airport, flew to Madrid, took the bus to the train station, took the train to Pamplona, another bus to the bus station, a bus to St. Jean Pied-de-Port, and then walked to my Albergue.
An old rampart in Pamplona. It was right behind the bus station. 
I forgot about how the Camino specializes in vertical cities. My Albergue was near the top of this hill.


And, it is time for me to get walking. My pack has been sent forward, all but one of my pairs of socks are dry (they are safety-pinned to my day pack), and the day is perfect for a long walk. Ultreia!

No comments:

Post a Comment